|Katie Hacker has written or co-authored more than 20 books about beading and crafts, including Katie's Beading Secrets (Hot Off The Press 2009) and Bead & Wire Jewelry Exposed (F+W Pubs 2009). She also presents "Beading Lessons" on each episode of the public television show Beads, Baubles & Jewels, which has been on the air since 2004.
Katie contributes how-to beading projects to a variety of publications and is a columnist for Beadwork magazine. You will find her teaching classes at the Bead & Button Show; BeadFest; the Craft & Hobby Association tradeshows; and the annual Create Your Stye with CRYSTALLIZED™ - Swarovski Elements Event in Tucson.
Get beading tips, ideas and inspiration on her blog at www.KatieHacker.com.
Top 3 Favorite Beadalon Wires
• Silver-plated Beadalon 49 because it is so soft but strong and works well in woven designs.
• .018" diameter Beadalon 49 is my default wire - I use it in nearly every design when the color doesn't matter.
• Champagne Color Wire because it goes so well with vintage-looking designs.
Top 3 Favorite Beadalon Findings
• Sterling silver EZ-Crimp™ toggle clasps because they are so easy to use!
• Crimp covers because they make crimps look so much more polished.
• Quick Links components because they can be used in so many different ways.
Top 3 Favorite Beadalon Tools
• Designer flush cutter made in Italy because it makes perfect cuts every time and the ergonomic handles are so cushy.
• Black-handled designer chain nose and round nose pliers because they fit perfectly in my hand and I can afford to have several pairs lying around.
• Beadalon Knotter Tool because it makes knotting so much faster.
Favorite Beading Technique
Katie's favorite beading technique right now is taking traditional stitching techniques like right angle weave and figuring out how to do them with beading wire. Her favorite projects are the ones that look complicated but are actually easy to make.
What inspires you to make jewelry
Katie loves making jewelry because it is satisfying to be able to make something in an evening and wear it the next day. She enjoys showing people how simple it is to create their own fabulous accessories.
When not making jewelry...
Katie enjoys spending time with her family, reading, crafting, taking pictures, traveling, hanging out with friends, keeping honeybees, helping on the family farm.