Fernando Dasilva is a designer whose work levitates around 3 elements: simplicity, texture and style. His eyes are constantly looking for the inner beauty of anything in the world.
In 2005 Women Wear Daily has highlighted Fernando as a designer to watch. He has contributed with several beading magazines and jewelry design inspirational books and he is the only male jewelry designer Create Your Style with CRYSTALLIZED Swarovski Elements Ambassador. His first book "Bead and Wire Jewelry Exposed" was co-authored with fellow Beadalon design team members Katie Hacker and Margot Potter.
His work can be seen at and tracked on his lifestyle blog at: http://modern-expressions.blogspot.com
TOP 3 FAVORITE BEADALON WIRE?
- 49 Strands silver plated - .024 It has excellent flexibility, suppleness, and brilliance. I don't get tired of exposing it, wrapping it several times around a bead because it's beautiful just as it is.
- 49 Strands sterling silver - a perfect match for high end gemstones beads. It's valuable, ultra soft and incomparable.
- 19 Strands - .018 Colored wires a perfect fit when combined with Crystallized vibrant colors.
TOP 3 BEADALON TOOLS?
- Battery operated bead reamer- A very use friendly tool. It is very helpful since many gemstone beads are not drilled equally and the holes need to be enlarged to accommodate thick thread.
- Wire twister- It can be used with stringing wire, precious metal and Artistic Wire. It opens other creation possibilities for designers.
- Sbeady needle - a clever way of manipulating stringing wire and take it no another level.
TOP 3 BEADALON FINDINGS?
- Bead bumpers- I love the versatility of its product. It can be used to decorate ear wires, to space beads, to accentuate surface of beads it has endless use.
- EZ products line crimps and clasps. The EZ crimp and clasp collection is a great asset for beginner beaders and very easy to manipulate and anybody can learn how to use quickly.
- Pinch bails Give to beaders the ability to create dangles and drops without wire wrapping skills. Its clean lines don't disturb the design.
FAVORITE BEADING TECHNIQUE?
All the basic techniques are my favorites. My design approach is not defined by my technique but by my innate gift of seeing beyond the obvious and my sense of color and style.
WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO MAKE JEWELRY?
My inspiration comes from the desire of support myself through my creations. Some days I get inspiration from my spirituality, some days from my culture, other days from my dreams and some days I have no inspiration whatsoever. Sometimes even when I don't feel inspired and I have a request for a new design, I start manipulating components and something uniquely fresh comes, and then in those days I am just lucky.
WHEN NOT MAKING JEWELRY?
I am cleaning and rearranging my house, cooking, listening to music, reading pop magazines, catching a movie, visiting an art exhibition or daydreaming about future.